RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A judge has agreed to name a third-party expert to scrutinize the COVID-19 response within North Carolina’s prison system.
Prisons are experiencing a surge in cases and a growing number of inmates have been hospitalized.
Superior Court Judge Vince Rozier said on Friday that he’s worried about the pressure the coronavirus is now placing upon correctional institutions.
A key task of the special master he picked will be to ensure that additional inmates at higher risk for COVID-19 complications can serve at home or in safer settings.
Rozier also wants all correctional workers who come in contact with prisoners tested every two weeks.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Officials asking for public’s help finding missing infant
- Trouble breathing, tooth loss: Some COVID-19 patients face lasting effects
- NC judge orders plan for releasing more red wolves into wild
- Greensboro police investigating robbery on Summit Avenue
- NC health officials identify first case of UK variant of COVID-19 in NC