RALEIGH, N.C. — The North Carolina State University baseball coach and his pet dog were both injured after being bitten by a copperhead snake.
The News & Observer reported that Elliot Avent and his 10-week-old Labrador Retriever “Sammi” are both recovering and expected to be fine.
The bite reportedly happened Wednesday night in Avent’s front yard while he was walking the dog.
“I’m fine, I just need to rest,” Avent told the paper. “I’m just mad more than anything else. I’ve coached through a concussion and kidney stones. I’ve never missed a game in my life.”
Doctors said he could not travel so he will miss the Louisville series planned for this upcoming weekend, according to WTVD.
Copperhead snakes are venomous, but their venom is relatively mild and rarely fatal for humans, according to Live Science.