LENOIR, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – On Friday, Samaritan’s Purse started construction for a 30-bed emergency field hospital on the grounds of Caldwell UNC Health Care in Lenoir.
The unit will help support the needs of Catawba Valley Health System and four other western NC health systems: Caldwell UNC Health Care, Appalachian Regional Healthcare System, Carolinas Healthcare System Blue Ridge, and Frye Regional Medical Center.
The unit will help support the treatment of patients who are COVID-positive but do not need the support of a ventilator, health officials said.
“We are thankful for the support of Samaritan’s Purse in this effort. Samaritan’s Purse has extensive experience in this type of response, having deployed similar field hospitals during the pandemic in both New York City and Italy. This added capacity will be instrumental in ensuring that we can care for the communities of this region if the surge in patient volume continues in the new year. Please help us in this effort by keeping yourself and your loved ones safe in the weeks and months ahead,” Catawba Valley Medical Center said in a released statement on Thursday.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Leaders pitch tech-ready workforce in bid to attract high-paying jobs to border
- House passes $1.9 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill on near party-line vote
- Johnston County road washed out by flooding where 2 children died reopens with new bridge
- In spite of warnings, migrants keep showing up at border campsite in Tijuana
- ‘They finally stop living in fear’: Advocates reflect on return of asylum-seekers to US