Community hopes to save family’s Christmas after fire destroys home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EXCELSIOR SPRINGS, Mo. — A family of five lost their house, Christmas presents and decorations when a fire destroyed their Excelsior Springs home.

Now, a local diner is hoping to help by collecting donations for the family.

The fire destroyed the family’s home in the 300 block of Haynes on Tuesday afternoon. A 5-year-old boy named Lucky noticed the smoke and alerted his dad who was sleeping at the time.

Joe Clark, his fiancé Lura, their sons 6-year-old Odin and 5-year-old Lucky and the boys’ grandmother, Renna. all lived inside the home.

Firefighters believe old electrical wiring in the attic started the fire.

Firefighters rushed to save the majority of the boys’ Christmas presents. Several presents and Christmas decorations were destroyed.

The bedrooms inside the home were badly damaged by smoke and water. The upstairs bedroom and attic were also destroyed.

The family says they could not get the more than 100-year-old home insured. It has been in the family for generations.

Anyone who could help the family rebuild is encouraged to call the restaurant at 816-637-9500.

Joe Clark says his family is thankful for all of the people in the community who have offered so much love and support.

Donations are being collected at Debbie’s Family Restaurant located at 905 Isley Blvd. in Excelsior Springs. The family needs boy clothes sizes 6 and 8, women’s size 8 and 10, men’s 36-38 pants and XXL shirts.

Source: KCTV

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter