LEXINGTON, Va. (WFXR) – After hours of discussion, Lexington City Council unanimously voted to rename Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
Earlier Thursday night, six speakers joined City Council via Zoom, to voice their thoughts. All six voiced support in renaming the cemetery.
Another larger group of citizens emailed City Council with the majority also supporting renaming the cemetery.
City Council decided against forming a committee, but instead plans to have the public join in on the renaming process. They plan to have a name decided on by September 3, 2020.
The cemetery is where the Confederate General was buried. It was formerly known as the Presbyterian Cemetery and was renamed in 1949.
- Hill’s Minnow Farm’s homemade ice cream is a big hit
- Biden, Harris make first appearance as running mates
- Virginia lawmaker looks to include telehealth funding in next COVID-19 relief package
- New drone technology will help monitor COVID-19 symptoms
- ‘She’s up to the task’: Democrats excited about Kamala Harris joining Joe Biden on 2020 ticket