LEXINGTON, Va. (WFXR) – After hours of discussion, Lexington City Council unanimously voted to rename Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
Earlier Thursday night, six speakers joined City Council via Zoom, to voice their thoughts. All six voiced support in renaming the cemetery.
Another larger group of citizens emailed City Council with the majority also supporting renaming the cemetery.
City Council decided against forming a committee, but instead plans to have the public join in on the renaming process. They plan to have a name decided on by September 3, 2020.
The cemetery is where the Confederate General was buried. It was formerly known as the Presbyterian Cemetery and was renamed in 1949.
- Josh Duggar asks for child pornography trial to be delayed until 2022
- US senators unveil legislation to crack down on cybercrimes
- ‘We are not the landfill’: Staff at Thomasville thrift store frustrated by trash dumped on property
- New Guilford County Behavioral Health Center is the first of its kind in the state
- College athletes to Senate: Standardize athlete compensation