Children hospitalized after drinking bleach at day care

News

Bolin’s Day Care Center in Kings Mountain

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. — Several children were taken to the hospital Monday after consuming bleach at Bolin’s Day Care Center in Kings Mountain.

Police said a water pitcher had a very small amount of bleach added to the water for cleaning purposes and was accidentally placed in the refrigerator.

The water was then distributed to the children, police said.

The day care owner, Jeff Bolin, told WSOC that an employee put about an ounce of bleach in a gallon water jug on Friday to clean it.

On Monday, he said that another employee thought it was just water, and put it in the fridge. He said it was given to the classrooms for the students.

“After the first one didn’t taste right, the lady who was in charge went around and told everyone to drink no more water,” said Bolin.

He said that paramedics were called right away and the children were checked out.

Bolin said that most of the kids affected were 3 and 4 years old. He said that a few of them threw up and about a dozen were taken to various hospitals.

Police say no serious complications were reported.

The owner said his family has run the day care for decades and nothing like this has ever happened, and that he feels horrible.

Bolin said they work hard to follow the rules.

“It was a mistake that was made, and like I said, we apologize for it,” he said.

Bolin said that some cleaning policies will now change. He said that the County Health Department was there Monday.

He expects the State Health Department to follow up Tuesday.

Source: WSOC

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter