Child rape suspect cuts off GPS bracelet, beats relative, on the run


Police say child rape suspect Gregory Lewis, 26, cut off his GPS monitoring bracelet then days later assaulted and tied up a family member before running off with a gun.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SOUTHBRIDGE, Mass. — A Massachusetts child rape suspect fled after cutting off his GPS monitoring bracelet, then — days later — returned home, beat and tied up a relative, and sped off again with a gun, police say.

Gregory Lewis remained at large Friday night, according to Southbridge police, who warned that he “is still considered armed and dangerous.”

The 26-year-old was arrested on August 5, then arraigned the next day on four felony child rape charges, according to police. He was let go on bail and required to wear a GPS monitoring bracelet.

Except that, according to a post Saturday on the Southbridge police department’s Facebook page, Lewis severed that bracelet and drove off in his parents 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Police announced on September 20 that the Southbridge resident had feld and was wanted “for several outstanding felony arrest warrants.”

The next reported sighting of Lewis in his hometown — a community of about 17,000 people located 20 miles southwest of Worcester — was Thursday.

That’s when Southbridge police said Lewis returned to his home “and seriously assaulted” a family member, who was also “tied up and handcuffed to prevent police from being called,” Det Sgt. Carlos Dingui said.

“This gentleman was literally shackled and held in the home, with a metal shackle,” Southbridge police Chief Daniel Charette told CNN affiliate WCVB about the unnamed relative.

Later that night, surveillance images released by police showed Lewis in a convenience store about 30 miles southwest in Vernon, Connecticut. It’s not known where he went next, including whether he was still in New England as of Friday night.

The fugitive wasn’t traveling empty-handed. Authorities say that he “armed himself with a handgun” upon leaving his home.

“Lewis is considered to be extremely dangerous,” Southbridge police said.

Trademark and Copyright 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter