GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Guilford County Sheriff’s office says animal cruelty charges have been filed after a video went viral days ago showing a girl using an aerosol can and lighter to create flames which she pointed towards her dog.
Another teen filmed the incident and posted it on Snapchat.
The dog, a chocolate Labrador Retriever named Bella, is being treated at Benessere Animal Hospital in Greensboro.
Doctors says the dog’s fur was burned. It also has spots of paint on its tail. But luckily it wasn’t seriously hurt.
“Here she was part of a family and loving and loyal to them and all of a sudden, she's set on fire,” said Dr. Janine Oliver, owner of the animal hospital.
Oliver says the parts of Bella’s fur which were burned feel like plastic.
“The back of her fur on her back, all the fur is kind of singed and melted,” Oliver said.
The mother of one of the teens did not want to speak on camera or reveal her name but made this statement to FOX8:
“She made an immature, stupid mistake. She deserved to be charged, but she also deserves to be forgiven."
Investigators say the teens involved are ages 13 and 14.
“The dog could have been engulfed in flames and not only emotionally traumatized but in horrible pain,” Oliver said.
Bella will stay at the animal hospital until she is allowed to be adopted.
That decision will be made by the attorney general's office.