CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Carowinds announced Thursday plans to open a historic waterpark expansion in 2016.
Carolina Harbor Waterpark will be included with park admission.
The addition is the latest phase in a $50 million plus multi-year expansion at Carowinds, an effort kicked off by building the world’s tallest and fastest giga coaster, Fury 325.
“We listened to our guests and have made a promise to bring them more family-friendly attractions,” said Mike Fehnel, Carowinds vice president and general manager. “And we’re happy to be delivering on our promise with the addition of Carolina Harbor – a guaranteed ultimate waterpark experience. Carowinds is growing by leaps and bounds and continues to put the park on the map as the premier entertainment destination of the Carolinas.”
Carolina Harbor will feature a combination of thrills, relaxation and family fun, including twice the number of water slides than the current Boomerang Bay.
Carolina Harbor will feature many of the park’s current popular waterpark attractions, while introducing a variety of new ones:
- Blackbeard’s Revenge is a thrilling new 6-story tall water slide complex that features three exhilarating attractions and a total of six thrilling slides.
- Pirate’s Plank will send guests plummeting down a nearly vertical free fall where the floor drops out from underneath.
- Cannonball Drop will twist and turn riders through an enclosed chute with four intense 360-degree turns.
- Captain’s Curse shoots guests down a series of intense drops and turns.
A new 2-acre family area will include many new activities:
- Seaside Splashworks, a multi-level children’s water spray ground, will feature more than 80 countless play elements including a giant 423-gallon tipping bucket.
- Kiddy Hawk Cove and Myrtle Turtle Beach are two toddler areas that will include jets of water spraying up from the ground surrounded by a charming garden atmosphere.
- Surf Club Harbor will be the newest wave pool, creating up to six foot waves in 12 different wave patterns, mimicking the high surf of the Atlantic Ocean.
Carolina Harbor will also feature many new amenities:
- New Entrance – A separately gated entrance convenient for guests who wish to enter the waterpark only.
- New Restaurants – Harbor House a new restaurant featuring two 2,400-square foot outdoor seating patios. The restaurant will serve various Carolina favorites including BBQ and seafood. Schooners will be a full-service bar.
- Sand Volleyball Courts – New professional style sand volleyball courts will allow both casual and competitive play.
- Additional Plush Cabanas and Seating – Over 40 new cabanas will be added at both wave pools and the new family area. An additional 1,100 lounging chairs will also be available for guests to enjoy some fun in the sun.
- Upgraded Facilities – Current family changing areas will be upgraded. New restroom facilities and a bath house will be built.
To see Carolina Harbor illustrations, construction photos and more, visit carowinds.com/carolinaharbor.