Carbon monoxide found at Boone hotel where boy died


(Credit: WSOC)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOONE, N.C. — Officials said carbon monoxide was found at the Boone hotel where an 11-year-old boy was found dead in the same room two elderly people died about two months earlier.

The Watauga County Health Department told WCNC the toxic gas was found at the Best Western at 840 E. King St.

The health department has not said if the carbon monoxide is what led to the death of the child.

Jeffrey Lee Williams was found dead in his second-floor room around 12:30 p.m. Saturday after police were called for two people who were reportedly in distress.

The child’s mother, 49-year-old Jeannie Williams, was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. Relatives said she is doing better and has just come out of a medically induced coma.

The boy’s pastor, Scott Davis, told WCNC the child and his mother were on vacation. Davis traveled to Boone on Saturday with the boy’s father after hearing of the death.

Police said they were staying in the same room where two elderly people were found dead on April 16.

The family said they want answers from the hotel. WCNC contacted Best Western for comment, but officials have not responded as of around noon Monday.

Boone police said the hotel remains closed and is under investigation.

Police said that the N.C. State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors will have investigators in Boone on Wednesday to help with the investigation.

Police are also requesting autopsy and toxicology reports from the N.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner concerning the death on April 16 of the two people in the same room.

Family members said Jeffrey Lee Williams will be greatly missed. They said he loved video games and playing the violin.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter