BURLINGTON, N.C. — Police are investigating after a minivan crashed into the Burlington Police Department building.
The crash happened at about 12:37 p.m. Friday at 267 West Front Street, according to a Burlington Police Department news release.
At first, police thought the act was intentional but later told FOX8 the driver had a mental health crisis.
The driver has been taken to a hospital for further evaluation.
People working in the area said they did not see the crash but they sure did hear it.
“We heard a loud noise, we didn’t pay much attention to it until we started to see a crowd gather outside. We had probably 4 fire trucks out there several ambulances so it was a chaotic scene,” said Tracey Kirby Milton, hairdresser at A New Look Hair Salon.
The BPD will continue to investigate and file the appropriate charges after police officials talk to the district attorney, the release says.
According to police, an employee was assessed for minor injuries and is doing fine now.
The front doors were severely damaged.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Chance for snow late Wednesday night, early Thursday morning
- New program helping place women in educational leadership roles
- Sen. Tillis says impeaching Trump as a private citizen would set ‘dangerous precedent’
- Sen. Patrick Leahy taken to hospital
- 10-year-old girl at center of North Carolina Amber Alert found safe