BURLINGTON, N.C. — Dozens of people are displaced after a grease fire broke out at the Trails End Apartments in Burlington Monday night.
Residents say the fire started in an upstairs unit, but the smoke damaged several neighboring apartments.
“It’s very traumatizing. It’s very traumatizing to know that you lost almost everything,” said Kerry Deacon.
Residents were allowed to come back Tuesday to pick up the few items that were still intact. However, one family came home to even more damage than they expected.
“Somebody kicked the door open. They just got what they could I guess,” said Amy Vanhook.
Vanhook says burglars stole three televisions, a laptop and hundreds of dollars they were saving for Christmas presents overnight.
Investigators say four similar break-ins have been reported to Burlington police, so far.
“It’s sad, but there are a lot of unhappy people out there… You just have to pray for them,” said Vanhook.
Despite all that was lost, residents are staying positive because no one was injured in the fire.
“I just hate that so many families are affected by this. I know God is going to make a way for everybody,” said Sandra Warren.
The Red Cross is assisting the families affected.
Anyone with information about the burglaries is asked to contact Burlington Police at 336-229-3503.