MIAMI (NEXSTAR) — Miami-Dade police said authorities found the body of an aspiring hip-hop artist inside the trunk of a Virginia man’s car after he crashed on a Miami highway.
Robert Deupree Avery Coltrain was charged with second-degree murder in the death of 25-year-old Brian Trotter.
A police report said Florida Highway Patrol responded to a crash on the Palmetto Expressway Sunday.
Authorities towed Coltrain’s car to a mall, where they smelled rotting flesh coming from the vehicle. Officials said troopers were suspicious after observing buzzing flies near the car, according to WKMG.
When troopers opened the trunk, they found Trotter’s body “wrapped in a piece of fabric and in an advanced stage of decomposition,” according to a police report.
Trotter was last seen on Oct. 17 leaving his home in Virginia with Coltrain. Police said Coltrain and Trotter were longtime friends.
It’s unclear whether Coltrain had an attorney.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Police: 2 found dead in NC home, evidence of recent fire
- Reed: Trump’s NDAA veto threat is harmful to the troops
- Burlington police investigating after person found dead near Walmart
- Cartels flood border with synthetic drugs, exacerbating addiction and homicide rates
- Davidson County deputy injured in crash
The Associated Press contributed to this report.