HIDDENITE, N.C. (WNCN) – The Alexander County’s sheriff confirmed crews have recovered the body of a missing 1-year-old boy Friday at the Hiddenite Family Campground.
That brings the death toll to five at the campground following Thursday’s flooding.
The body of an adult was found at the site earlier Friday.
The identities of the victims are not being released at this time pending family notification.
The campground is approximately 50 miles north of Charlotte.
Doug Gillespie, county director of public services, said floodwaters either covered or swept away the recreational vehicles at the campground, which is next to the South Yadkin River and is home for many of the people caught in the flood.
Swift-water rescue personnel and local fire departments saved 31 people from their vehicles, some of them hanging onto their campers, according to Gillespie.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Community reflects on 1-year anniversary of John Neville Jr.’s death
- Historic Magnolia House in Greensboro offers shoebox meals via delivery apps
- Winston-Salem man’s holiday light display includes tribute to law enforcement, health care workers
- Light the Night kicks off in downtown Greensboro
- SC lawmakers to consider home alcohol deliveries in 2021