GALVESTON COUNTY, Texas — Twelve beaches in Galveston County are under an advisory for elevated bacteria levels.
The advisories come just one week after a man had to have his right leg amputated from the knee down due to contracting a flesh-eating bacteria.
Brian Parrott, 50, was at the beach in Galveston with his family on Sunday, June 12. Doctors believe he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria through a cut on his foot. His leg was amputated last Thursday, his mother told KRIV.
According to KDFW, the Galveston County Health District pulls samples from 52 monitoring stations weekly to test for the bacteria.
When an advisory is put into place at a station, samples are tested daily until the bacteria levels return to normal.
A beach advisory does not mean it is closed. A sign at the beach indicates that swimming is not recommended.