Authorities: Man injured in Greensboro house fire


One man was injured after authorities said a house fire occurred around 2:30 a.m. at a home on Merritt Drive in Greensboro. (WGHP)

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- One man is in the hospital and a family’s home is badly damaged after a fire in Greensboro early Thursday morning.

Authorities said the fire occurred around 2:30 a.m. at a home on Merritt Drive near High Point Road.

Fire officials said three adults were inside during the fire, two of which got out safely. They said the third, a 41-year-old man, was hospitalized with burns.

Authorities said the victim’s dad and sister were sleeping when the fire started. The fire investigator said the smoke alarm woke them up, allowing both to get out uninjured.

Greensboro Fire investigator H.W. DeLancey said the fire started because an electric space heater was placed too close to a bed.

Authorities said the victim has been moved to the Burn Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and is stable but still has serious injuries.

Firefighters repeatedly said had it not been for three smoke detectors operating properly in the home, this would have been a deadly fire.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

Follow FOX8 on Twitter