Atlanta police chief steps down after death of man shot in fast food drive-thru by officer during struggle over taser

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ATLANTA — Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields stepped down as chief on Saturday afternoon following the death of Rayshard Brooks, 27, who was shot by an officer after a struggle at a Wendy’s, WCGL reports.

“Chief Erika Shields has been a solid member of APD for over two decades and has a deep and abiding love for the people of Atlanta,” said Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.” And because of her desire that Atlanta be a model of what meaningful reform should look like across this country, Chief Shields has offered to immediately step aside as police chief so that the city may move forward with urgency in rebuilding the trust so desperately needed throughout our communities.”

A police officer in Atlanta shot and killed Brooks on Friday night after a sobriety test at a Wendy’s, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, WSB reports. 

Officers say they got a call about a man in the drive-thru line. Investigators claim Brooks was asleep in his car when police arrived around 10:33 p.m. 

Police say he failed a sobriety test shortly after. When police tried to take Brooks into custody, police say he resisted arrest. 

Officers reportedly tried to use a taser on him, but Brooks is accused of grabbing the taser and using the weapon on an officer. 

“During the arrest, the male subject resisted and a struggle ensued. The officer deployed a Taser. Witnesses report that during the struggle the male subject grabbed and was in possession of the Taser,” the GBI said. “It has also been reported that the male subject was shot by an officer in the struggle over the Taser.”

Police opened fire on Brooks who later died at the hospital. 

One officer who was injured has since been released from the hospital. 

GBI is investigating the shooting at the request of Atlanta police. 

“The GBI is aware that there is video posted on social media captured by witnesses in this incident. We are reviewing the video & the early investigative information in this case. We’ll provide an update as soon as we can,” a GBI tweet said.

However, district attorney Paul Howard said his office also has opened an independent investigation.

“In this matter, we are asking for the cooperation of the public. We are asking anyone who saw the incident to call the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office Tip Line at (404) 612-4903 and if they wish to email any information, still photos, and/or videos we ask that they do so by sending it to,” Howard said in a statement.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories


Follow FOX8 on Twitter