ALEXANDER COUNTY, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – An 8-year-old boy who was shot by a BB gun on Sunday has died due to injuries sustained, officials said on Monday.
Emergency officials were sent to a home in the Stony Point community and found the young boy, who had been shot in the chest.
The child was evaluated at Iredell Memorial Hospital and was transferred to Brenner’s Children’s Hospital in Winston Salem.
During transport, the child went into cardiac arrest and was diverted to Davey Medical Center.
The child tragically died from his injuries at Davey Medical Center, the sheriff’s office said.
An initial investigation showed two children, ages 7 and 8, were playing with a BB gun, shooting at targets near the family home. The injury is considered to be accidental.
This investigation remains open and active.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Did you see that bright light in the sky? SpaceX launched a new rocket. Check out these photos, and send us yours!
- Study finds no link between epidural use at birth and autism
- Drop in vaccine demand has some places turning down doses
- IRS offers 10 ways to avoid tax return slipups
- High school club’s ‘Slave Auction’ cancelled due to social media backlash