HIGH POINT, N.C. — Three people were taken to the hospital after a fire filled an Astor Dowdy Apartments building with smoke, according to the High Point Fire Department.
At about midnight, fire crews responded to an electrical fire on the fourth floor laundry room in Astor Dowdy Apartments.
The sprinkler was able to put out the flames, but smoke and water caused damage.
Three people were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and two people were treated on scene. All five had suffered smoke inhalation.
The American Red Cross is assisting the affected families. They say families have been displaced from 35 units.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Americans risk traveling over Thanksgiving despite warnings
- Hundreds in Triad rush to get tested for COVID ahead of the holiday weekend
- Doctor shares video showing what COVID patients see in final moments
- Traveling nurse gets cancer diagnosis while helping fight coronavirus in North Dakota
- Mexico says ‘The Mute’ gave green light to kill Americans, but victim’s father points to druglord Caro Quintero