MOUNT AIRY, N.C. – Investigators said a 2-year-old boy was killed as a result of an accidental cooking fire in a Mount Airy duplex on Sunday night.
Authorities said the fire occurred around 5:30 p.m. near Banner Street. The identity of the victim has not been released.
The fire chief has not said if anyone else was in the home at the time. Neighbors said a woman and toddler lived at the residence.
One firefighter is recovering after suffering minor injuries from the fire, according to officials.
Authorities have ruled the fire accidental and said no charges are expected to be filed.