KANSAS CITY — A Missouri mother was disgusted when she found maggot-like worms inside her two-year-old son’s formula.
First-time mother Taylor Seyler said she normally breastfeeds her son, but sometimes needs formula as a supplement, so she bought a can of Similac baby formula:
Several minutes into feeding him, she made the shocking discovery and posted about it on Facebook:
I am ABSOLUTELY disgusted!!!!
I dropped Keighan off with my grandma around noon & after my doctors appointment I came back & finished feeding him the bottle of Similac she made & I noticed little thin worm like things floating in it! Turns out, THEY’RE MAGGOTS!!!!!! I had recently read that another woman experienced this when feeding her baby formula, but never did I think it would happen to me! I only allow him to drink formula when I don’t produce enough milk for the afternoon or night if I leave him with my grandma, but now I will NEVER feel comfortable or safe feeding him this crap again! Wtf😡 please share this & spread the word! I don’t want anyone else’s little one consuming this.
Surprisingly, this isn’t the first time a mother has had a similar experience with the formula.
“I went to burp her like normal. I happened to glance over at the bottle and saw you know waves. I pick up the bottle and hold it in the light and I see worms like inching up. Pick up the can and looked in it and saw pieces of the formula moving inside the can. So I was like oh my gosh,” said mother Helen Williamson. “I just feel like they’re not doing something right because there wouldn’t be, I’m sorry they look like maggots to me. There wouldn’t be maggots crawling around in my baby’s bottle.”
KSHB reached out to Abbott, the company who makes the formula and they replied in a statement:
We take all concerns about product quality and safety seriously. Parents can be confident that our Similac infant formulas are safe. A third-party entomologist has reviewed the photos and concluded that based on the life cycle, and the age and size of the Indian meal moth larva in the photos, they entered the product after it left our facilities and the safety seal was removed. Our products pass rigorous safety and quality checks, including numerous steps to check for foreign objects and ensure proper packaging.
Indian meal moths are very common and can often be found in kitchen pantries inside flour and cereal. To prevent contamination, caregivers should inspect products before use and practice safe handling with powdered formula, including washing hands, closing containers tightly after each use and storing products in a dry, cool, clean place.
Since Sept. 28, the post has been shared more than 43,000 times.