WAUCHULA, Fla. (WFLA) — A 14-year-old boy is charged with attempted murder after shooting at three Hardee County deputies in November, the sheriff’s office said.
According to the Hardee County Sheriff’s Office, the teen had burglarized several homes after escaping Lakeside Neurologic, a rehabilitation center in Wauchula.
Three Hardee County deputies found the teen while responding to one of the burglaries. According to the sheriff’s office, the boy opened fire at them and the deputies returned fire, hitting him.
He has since been released from the hospital and charged with three counts of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer, theft of a firearm and armed burglary. He is not being charged as an adult.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has investigated the shooting and cleared all three deputies involved to return to work.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- More than 80,000 doses of 1-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine coming to NC this week
- Now introducing Cheerwine Zero Sugar; company to phase out Diet Cheerwine
- Biological sisters separated by adoption find each other by chance working at restaurant
- Olympic gymnast Hernandez enjoys solid return at Winter Cup
- Students welcomed back with a whole new way of learning at Petree Elementary School in Winston-Salem