ASHEVILLE, NC (WSPA) – Asheville Police Department officials said an abducted child and her abductor were found in a home in Asheville.
According to a news release, the police department received a call requesting assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, asking for help in locating a 12-year-old girl.
The girl had been abducted from Oak Ridge, Tenn.
APD investigators worked with Oak Ridge Police Department and the FBI Asheville and Knoxville field offices, and were able to find the child and her abductor in west Asheville.
Asheville Police took Matthew Paul Bajaj, 42, of Asheville into custody. Bajaj was later turned over to FBI agents.
The child was reportedly not injured and was reunited with her parents.
The incident remains under investigation by the FBI.
Latest headlines from FOX8
- Police: 2 found dead in NC home, evidence of recent fire
- Reed: Trump’s NDAA veto threat is harmful to the troops
- Burlington police investigating after person found dead near Walmart
- Cartels flood border with synthetic drugs, exacerbating addiction and homicide rates
- Davidson County deputy injured in crash