2 children beheaded by militants, Afghan authorities say

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CNN) — Taliban militants beheaded two children in southern Afghanistan, a provincial governor’s office said.

The beheadings occurred in Kandahar province, the provincial governor’s office said Monday.

One of those slain was a 10-year-old boy. The other was age 16.

A press release issued by the office said the militants caught and beheaded the 10-year-old Sunday after he had collected food waste from a trash bin in the area of a security checkpoint.

There were no immediate details about the 16-year-old.

The Taliban has not commented on the report.

Insurgents have carried out frequent attacks on security forces across Afghanistan in recent months amid a spring offensive by the Taliban.

Earlier today, Taliban fighters armed with guns and explosives clashed with security forces after taking over a building near the airport in the Afghan capital of Kabul. The fighting ended with all seven attackers dead, Afghan officials said.

The Taliban said the attack was intended to target Americans in Kabul International Airport, one part of which is used by military forces and another by civilians, the officials said.

In eastern Afghanistan, a service member with NATO’s International Security Assistance Force died in a bombing on Monday, the latest in a string of coalition deaths. Eighteen coalition soldiers have died in June so far. At least nine of them are Americans.

The-CNN-Wire/Atlanta/+1-404-827-WIRE(9473)
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter