This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Want to be a hit at this weekend’s 4th of July party? Make a patriotic and healthy cake to bring to your pot luck. Check out this recipe for Poke & Pour Independence Day Cake.
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- 1 cup of water
- 1 box (4-serving size) Jell-O strawberry flavored
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 container (8 oz.) whipped topping
- 1 cup of fresh sliced strawberries
- ½ cup of fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 13×9-inch pan. Cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- Pierce cooled cake with end of spoon at ½-inch intervals. In a medium bowl, stir in Jell-O mix and boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Stir in cold water.
- Carefully pour mixture over entire surface of cake. Refrigerate at least 3 hours until serving time.
- When ready to serve, gently spread container of whipped topping over cake. Arrange strawberries and blueberries on top of cake to look like flag.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.