Greensboro, N.C. — On this Recipe Wednesday, grab the ketchup!
July 13 is National Fry Day and there’s no question, french fries are many Americans favorite side dish, as we eat an average of 29 pounds of fries each year.
Shannon Smith stopped by Big Burger Spot in Greensboro where they make their fries fresh daily to find out secrets to making the best fries, plus a few ways to step up your fry game.
Parmesan Garlic Fries
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/4 cup chives
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly
- Toss cooked french fries in Garlic Aioli to event coat and top with Parmesan cheese
Sweet Potato Dessert Fries
- 1/3 cup cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Mix thoroughly
- Toss cooked sweet potato fries in cinnamon sugar mix and top with soft serve vanilla ice cream.
Secrets to cooking great French Fries!
- 1. Use the highest quality French fries available. There are many grades of French fries and many are poor quality.
- 2. Cutting your own fries can be challenging as the potatoes can vary greatly and lead to mixed results 3. Cook in Fresh Peanut oil- We believe this is the best oil for frying French fries at a temperature of 350 degrees and will last longer than most oils.
- 4. We filter our oil daily and change 1 to 2 times a week depending on volume.
- 5. Cook fries fresh to order. Many places cook fries in large batches and sell as ordered. We cook our Fries as the customer orders them!
- 6. Be creative- There are many ways to serve fries and we have over a dozen varieties on our menu.