Small Business Spotlight: Old Lexington Front End & Frame Shop

Small Business Spotlight

DAVIDSON COUNTY, N.C. — It’s hard for Billy Gregg to get away from a motor.

He spends his weeks tuning and refining the engines in just about every car or truck imaginable. Then, on Saturday nights, he’s at Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem, running the motor in his race car to its limit, trying – and often winning – the race there.

“I’ve been doing this for about 25 years,” says Billy.

He owns Old Lexington Front End & Frame Shop which was on the south end of Winston-Salem until about three years ago when he moved to a spot on Highway 150, northwest of Lexington.

Billy figures this time when people aren’t supposed to drive to work or really go anywhere is the perfect time to get their vehicle in for that much-needed maintenance.

“We’re running a $49 dollar four-wheel alignment special that’s bringing a lot of people in,” he said. “If they do the consistent maintenance, these cars will run for 250,000 miles.”

Reminiscent of the Fram Oil Filter commercial from the 1970s, in which the mechanic’s tag line was, “Pay me now or pay me later.”

The expertise Billy and his team have built up is paying off.

“The good thing for us is we do a lot of work for a lot of other shops,” he says. “So, you know, if you take your car to another shop and they can’t pull the frame and line it up, they bring it to us and we do it.”

And it’s one line of work where social distancing has been the norm for years.

“I’ve never had 10 people in here at the same time. Most of our stuff is drop off, pick up,” he says of his shop in which every mechanic has two full bays to himself. “You never have to come here, you never have to see anybody or touch anything.”

See Billy’s shop in action and what his message is to the Triad about his business in this Small Business Spotlight.

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories
North Carolina Coronavirus Hotline: 1-866-462-3821

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter