Small Business Spotlight: Grace Salon Tanning & Nails

Small Business Spotlight

DAVIDSON COUNTY, NC — Sometimes people do what’s comfortable until a life-changing event alters their state of mind.

The COVID-19 pandemic is doing that for many people and small businesses everywhere.

That’s how the story of a new salon in Davidson county goes.

Grace Salon has only been open since the middle of December, but the road to opening day was a bumpy ride.

It sits at the edge of a shopping center in Midway, a bedroom community of Winston-Salem in northern Davidson County.

It’s a full service hair salon, with all the trimming, a nail salon with all the colors, a boutique with a unique, personalized style, and there’s tanning beds, six of them.

But for the salon’s owner, Karri Gaskins, getting to this point was a bridge the 10 year veteran stylist had to cross with grace and courage after her father died in an industrial accident in 2018.

“I’m a daddy’s girl, so that was life, shattering. And so I kind of did nothing for a year and a half trying to just figure out life again,” Gaskins said.

Spiritual guidance from a close friend helped. Finding this space available was the kismet, her destiny, where she found in her heart and mind her grace.

“At that point, I knew that that’s what this place needed to be called, grace, so that we can teach other women and men and children. Just allow their self to let it go at the door, come in and take a moment for yourselves to enjoy your day,” Gaskins said.

So in the middle of the pandemic, Gaskins and her family and friends worked around the clock to get it ready and open, giving northern Davidson County a new retreat and Gaskins her grace.

“My dad would be proud because he knew that this was my dream. I’m so lost without him. It’s so hard, but he was very proud. I know he would be proud now,” Gaskins said.

Grace Salon, Tanning and Boutique is in the Midway Commons Shopping Center at the corner of Hickory Tree Road and Old US Highway 52 in Midway.

Latest headlines from FOX8

Must-See Stories

More Must-See Stories
North Carolina Coronavirus Hotline: 1-866-462-3821

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter