Gifts for Kids Web Banner 2021

‘A fiber family’; Gate City Yarns in Greensboro has what every crafter needs

Small Business Spotlight

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WGHP) — “We’re a fiber family.”

That’s the philosophy of Gate City Yarns, where all your craftiest needs can be fulfilled.

Tucked away in Downtown Greensboro, on South Elm Street, Gate City Yarns is a place where comfort is stitched together by hand.

“A place like this needs to focus on community and creating connections between people who like this kind of thing. I like string, I like yarn. I like making things out of string,” owner Amanda Baughman said. Her love of string started long before her career.

“I started at 6 with just putting loops together in different shapes. Made a blanket for my mother and started a blanket for me and I just sort of grew from there,” she said.

Her passion and expertise bring in customers. “I love it. I absolutely love it. I think unfortunately some of the smaller knitting stores, it’s hard to compete against some of the larger wholesale warehouse-type stores. So I always try to give the small businesses business when I’m around,” Maureen Hart told us.

Gate City Yarns welcomes people from all walks — and threads — of life.

“I want to be the person I needed when I was 8 or 9 years old to let them know that know you’re not weird. There’s other people like us,” Baughman said.

Because home truly is where the yarn is.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

MOST POPULAR

Follow FOX8 on Twitter