WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – A mother and her children lost their home after an apartment fire in Winston-Salem on Christmas Day.
Crews were called to the scene in the 200 block of Harrington Court on shortly before 2:30 p.m. Tuesday.
"We lost everything," said Dorothea Mitchell, whose home was destroyed. "I have a little girl on the way and my youngest didn't even open their presents."
Four units were damaged and 16 people were displaced in the fire, according to Winston-Salem Fire Chief Alex MacDonald.
The cause appears to be a malfunction of an electrical appliancem said incident commander Alex McDonald.
The American Red Cross is helping those who were displaced find a new home.