FOX8 Friday Football Frenzy high school scoreboard

McMichael High School evacuated after faulty light causes haze

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Jasmine Spencer/WGHP)

MAYODAN, N.C. — Smoke was spotted coming out of the roof of McMichael High School in Rockingham County, according to Rockingham County Schools.

Students are being evacuated.

According to RCS, all students are accounted for and safe.

Rockingham County Emergency Services Director Rodney Cates confirmed that, despite early reports, there were no flames.

Cates said a faulty light in the cafeteria caused a haze.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.