Weather closings and delays

Unattended stove erupts into apartment fire in Winston-Salem

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- An unattended stove turned into a fire that left five people without a home, according to the Winston-Salem Fire Department.

The fire department shared video of the encounter on Twitter at about 2 a.m. Friday morning.

Officials responded at about 1:39 a.m. to the 3600 block of Yarbrough Avenue.

By 2:12 a.m., the fire was under control, WSFD told FOX8.

According to the fire department, the fire began after someone who was preparing food on the stove left it unattended.

Two occupants suffered minor smoke inhalation. They declined to be taken to the hospital after they were evaluated by Forsyth County EMS.

Two units in the four-apartment building were damaged.

WSFD reported there were no working smoke alarms.

The Red Cross is now working to help the five people who were displaced by the fire.