Teen charged with fatally shooting 17-year-old in High Point

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Tylar J. Harris

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- A High Point teenager is dead and another is in jail after a drug deal over marijuana, according to police.

Police arrived to the Laurel Springs apartments on Turtle Rock Way around 9:10 p.m. Tuesday.

They found Griffin Weathers, 17, with a gunshot wound to the chest. Weathers died from his injuries at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

Officers say they interviewed several witnesses and arrested Tylar Harris, 17, at his home in the same apartment complex about four hours later. Detectives got a search warrant for his home, where they say they found three guns and other "items of evidence."

Harris appeared in court Tuesday afternoon on a charge of first-degree murder.

The district attorney's office says the teens met so Weathers could sell Harris marijuana.

The DA's office said two of Harris' friends where also present in a car. According to those witnesses, Weathers and Harris started fighting.

Harris claims Weathers punched him twice. Investigators say Harris then pulled out a gun and shot Weathers once.

Harris held his head in his hands throughout most of the court hearing. His mother cried, while his family told him, "I love you. Be strong."

Harris will remain in the Guilford County Detention Center with no bond allowed until his next court hearing on June 15.

Griffin Weathers (left) with friend Alexa Tkatch. (Photo courtesy of Alexa Tkatch)

Loved ones of both teens are struggling to come to terms with what happened Monday night. Weathers was a senior at High Point Central High School.

Students there said the campus was quiet Tuesday without Weathers.

"He just liked having a good time and putting a smile on people's faces," said Howard Collings. Collings says the Weathers are like a second family to him, and he watched Weathers grow up.

"It was crazy to see how he went from being that young kid that I've always known to being literally a young man," Collings said.

Collings said he's struggling to understand why his friend got involved in a drug deal.

“At the end of the day, he was just a young kid, and it’s something that tragically happened to him," Collings said. "Nobody needed to get shot over something like this. It’s just unfortunate all the way through.”

He believes Weathers will be remembered for more than how he was killed.

“Griffin wouldn’t want us to be sad for a long time about this," Collings said. "He would want us to smile, ago hang out, do things and be active. And I think the community’s going to be stronger after this, once time passes and we can honor his memory.”

In response to the shooting, High Point Community Against Violence members will work with police to hand out flyers on Wednesday in the neighborhood where Griffin was killed.

The group does this kind of canvassing after many homicides or violent crimes in the city to encourage people to come forward with information.

Police didn't say if they're looking for any additional people in connection to this case.

Weathers is the fourth person killed in High Point this year.