Crews investigating fire at Kidde warehouse in Mebane

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEBANE, N.C. -- Crews are working to figure out what caused an industrial fire at the Kidde warehouse in Mebane early Tuesday morning.

Mebane fire officials say the fire started around 5:12 a.m. An automatic fire alarm went off, alerting Mebane and Haw River firefighters. Efland, Pleasant Grove, and Sweponsville firefighters also responded.

Crews put the fire out just before 9 a.m. They say the fire started in a storage facility on the Kidde property, which stored merchandise including smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers.

Fire crews say no was hurt inside the facility or at the plant when the fire started, and no one was injured putting out the fire.

"The sprinkler system actually kept the fire contained in its area of origin, but it's a fairly large area, there were several heads that activated," said Mebane Fire Chief Bob Louis.

Crews are still on scene investigating what started the fire. They hope to have an answer by Tuesday afternoon.

Kidde has operated in Mebane for decades but expanded its plant in the last few years. Fire officials tell us the storage facility where the fire started is part of the older area of the plant.

A Kidde spokesperson released a statement to FOX8 on the fire:

We are aware of a fire at one of our warehouses and are working to gather more information as quickly as possible. No one was in the building at the time. The safe operation of our facilities is always a top priority.

Kidde has been in the news recently after recalling nearly half-a-million smoke alarms nationwide due to a risk of failure to alert consumers to a fire.