CLEMMONS, N.C. -- Firefighters found a body in a home on Parker Court after the home went up in flames around 5:20 p.m. Tuesday.
"We do feel that loss for them and keep them in our thoughts and prayers," said Fire Marshal Gary Styers, with Forsyth County Emergency Services.
The home is now a total loss.
"When the firefighters arrived, there was flames coming from the roof," Styers said.
What caused the fire is still unknown.
Styers says firefighters have been swamped with calls due to cold weather.
"It's been a very busy day for firefighters, not only with temperatures, freezing pipes but there have been some fatalities in this region," Styers said.
He says people should keep a few things in mind as they try to stay warm this week.
"If you choose to use a space heater or some type of heater to warm your house, make sure that space heater has space," Styers said.
"Check their smoke detectors," he suggested. "Make sure they're working. Make sure the battery is in place and working."