Worker escapes fire at Cook Out in Greensboro

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- An employee is alive after she escaped a fire at the Cook Out on Battleground Avenue in Greensboro Wednesday morning.

The woman was in the kitchen when she saw black smoke, according to the Greensboro Fire Department assistant fire chief. She ran out of the building and to another business to call 911.

She was not injured and the fire is now out.

The building sustained heavy damage and officials don't know how the fire started.