Young boy wakes family, helps them escape house fire in Thomasville

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

THOMASVILLE, N.C. -- A young boy is being hailed a hero after he woke his family up and helped them escape a house fire in Thomasville.

“We were told that the 9-year-old woke up the four adults that were living in the house and got them to move out of the house.  So in our aspect he was the hero,” Thomasville Fire Department Captain Richard Waddell said.

The fire started around 7:30 a.m. at a home on Spruce Street.

A neighbor saw the blaze and called 911. Five units had the fire under control by 8 a.m.

Officials believe the fire was caused by a candle.

“That's pretty heroic to be 9 and not be freaked out with something this devastating,” said neighbor Christy Leonard as she surveyed the damage.

Firefighters spent much of Thursday putting out the last bit of flames and cleaning up.

The American Red Cross is now assisting the family involved in the fire.