Greensboro homicide suspect arrested after police chase in Burlington

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Greensboro police patrol car. (File photo)

GREENSBORO, N.C. — A Burlington man wanted in connection with a fatal shooting led police on a brief vehicle pursuit in his hometown earlier today before being taken into custody, according to a news release from Greensboro police.

Tafari Ashante Henderson-Samuels, 23, of Burlington, is charged with first-degree murder for the shooting death of 20-year-old Steven Lemar Smith on Saturday.

Henderson-Samuels was located in Burlington with the assistance of the NC State Bureau of Investigation. The vehicle Henderson-Samuels was in led detectives with the Greensboro Police Department’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Team and the NC SBI Fugitive Task Force on a brief vehicle pursuit before crashing into a tree. The driver, Rodney Kyle Corbett, 22, and Henderson-Samuels ran from the vehicle after the crash. With the assistance of deputies from the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office and officers from the Burlington Police Department, Corbett and Henderson-Samuels were taken into custody a short distance from the crash.

Corbett, of Burlington, is charged with felony speeding to elude, felony harboring escapee and hit-and-run.

Smith, also from Burlington, was pronounced dead at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday at a residence on the 1200 block of Ewing Street after Guilford County sheriff’s deputies and EMS responded there following a call to 911 about a shooting.

The vehicle that Smith was transported in matched the description of a vehicle seen at a shooting on Rugby Street approximately 30 minutes earlier.

Greensboro police officers at this location had evidence of a shooting, but were unable to locate a victim. The vehicle description, along with witnesses’ accounts, confirmed that Smith was the victim from the shooting on Rugby Street.

Detectives learned that Smith and Henderson-Samuels were involved in an altercation that escalated to gunfire while they were passengers in a car that was being driven through Ray Warren homes. After Smith was shot, Henderson-Samuels ran from the scene. Attempts to locate him that evening were unsuccessful.

The driver of the vehicle is not facing charges.

Henderson-Samuels is also charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and discharging a firearm within the city limits. He is confined in the Guilford County Jail without bond.