9-year-old dies of cocaine overdose, test results ‘off the charts’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- A 9-year-old Ohio boy who died the day after Christmas passed away from a cocaine overdose, WFMJ reports.

Marcus Lee Jr. was said to have died from a seizure or a defect, but the Mahoning County Coroner's Office said Monday the boy died from "acute cocaine toxicity." The coroner said test results were "off the charts."

Marcus Lee Sr. said his son’s death didn’t add up -- and this proves it.

“I was angry. I was angry,” he told the station. “It was told to me it was a seizure, a defect, something that was unstoppable.”

Nearly six months later and the investigation into the 9-year-old's death is now being treated as a homicide.

“It appears he ingested it orally,” said Youngstown Police Lt. Doug Bobvnyik. “There was cocaine found in his stomach.”

Detectives said the boy had been dead for hours before police were called and there was no cocaine found inside the home at that time.

Two other kids living in the home are in the custody of Mahoning County Children Services.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.