Videos show storm damage around the Piedmont Triad

South Carolina high school student dies after drinking too much caffeine

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHLAND COUNTY, S.C. -- A South Carolina high school student died after ingesting a large amount of caffeine, the Richland County Coroner told WOLO.

Coroner Gary Watts said 16-year-old Davis Cripe had a Mountain Dew, a latte and an energy drink on April 26 before he collapsed at Spring Hill High School.

Watts said the final cause of death was due to a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia.

At a press conference Monday, Cripe's father said he hopes parents will talk to their kids about consuming energy drinks.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.