New details released after woman found dead in High Point apartment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- A woman is dead after a case of domestic violence in High Point ended in a homicide, according to the District Attorney's Office. The couple had two daughters, ages 3 and 6, and had dated since they were teenagers.

Attorneys say Sean Gibson, 28, killed his girlfriend, Charlene Alvarez, 27, after a drunken fight. He appeared in Guilford County Court Monday morning on a first-degree murder charge.

"Definitely too much to handle," said Dawn Lott, Alvarez's sister, after Monday's court hearing. "That's my sister. She was my angel and I'm sure she was a lot of other people's angel."

The D.A.'s office says Gibson and Alvarez went out to dinner on Friday night to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Attorneys say both of them were drinking.

Their kids stayed with a family member and were not home when Alvarez died.

The D.A.'s office said neighbors saw the couple arguing in front of their home at the Lake Road Apartments around 4:30 a.m. Saturday. Gibson reportedly strangled and killed Alvarez later that morning.

The D.A.'s office said Gibson first called his brother after Alvarez died. His brother called their mother, who in turn called 911. EMS and High Point police responded to the home around 10 a.m. Saturday.

First responders say they found marks around Alvarez's neck and wrists. Her clothing was in disarray.

Lott learned what happened later Saturday morning.

"I didn't believe it," she said.

Gibson was arrested at the home around 8 a.m. Sunday.

It's not clear who is taking care of the couple's daughters right now, since Gibson will remain in jail after a judge did not grant him bond in court Monday.

About a dozen family members sat in on the hearing, including Gibson's father, Sean Goren, who did not want to talk on camera. He told us the situation is "sad for everybody, including both sides of the family."

Gibson will be back in court on May 19.

Anyone with any information can call lead investigator Det. Randy Knight at (336) 887-7864 or Crimestoppers at (336) 889-4000.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.