Owner vows to rebuild after fire at Spiro’s Restaurant in High Point

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- Spiro Turnas watched as his restaurant in High Point burned Thursday night. Now, he is vowing to rebuild.

“We will be back stronger and better,” Turnas said.

The High Point Fire Department believes the fire at Spiro's Family Restaurant started near the fryers in the kitchen.

Now, they are going to do some forensic testing and hope to learn more about what exactly caused the fire by next week.

Turnas has owned the restaurant for more than 20 years. His building was condemned Friday morning.

”This is our life,” said Amanda Turnas, the owners daughter. “This is what we've done all of our lives. We've all been to college we all have a degree, but we all come back here. This is our home.”

Friday morning a group of family, friends and employees stood outside the charred restaurant.

"I'm out here because this is their livelihood,” said Julie Van Arsdale, a hostess at the restaurant. “I'm part of the family. They are so good to everyone."

The Turnas family is thankful for the communities support and the fire departments tough fight through freezing weather conditions.

Whether or not the family will be able to remodel or need to rebuild from scratch depends on the building inspection and insurance.