Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for parts of the Piedmont

Florida man sues Samsung after Galaxy Note 7 allegedly explodes in pocket

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Florida man is suing Samsung Electronics after his Galaxy Note 7 exploded in the front pocket of his pants. (Courtesy: ABC News Twitter)

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. — A Florida man is suing Samsung Electronics after he allegedly suffered severe burns when his Galaxy Note 7 smartphone exploded in his front pocket on Sept. 9, according to WFTS.

The lawsuit, filed by Jonathan Strobel, 28, is thought to be the first by a Samsung owner against the exploding battery defect linked to the phone.

The explosion reportedly left Strobel with second-degree burns on his right thigh.

Devices sold before Sept. 15 were recalled last Thursday after reports that the battery defect caused some Galaxy Note 7 smartphones to explode and spark fires.

Strobel’s lawsuit seeks more than $15,000 in damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.