North Carolina teen drowned in electrified pool water after pump failure, report says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Rachel Rosoff, 17.

RALEIGH, N.C. —  The 17-year-old teenager who died in a neighborhood pool after she entered the electrified water and drowned was killed when a pump failed and a breaker did not trip, according to WNCN.

Crews responded to an electrocution and possible drowning call at about 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 3 and found Rachel Rosoff dead in the water.

“The preliminary autopsy results are consistent with the decedent entering the pool that had an electrical charge that may have rendered the decedent unconscious apparently leading to drowning,” Wake County officials said in a release.

According to 911 records, an employee saw Rosoff floating face down in the water when they got to the pool to begin their shift.

A Wake County official said on Monday that after an investigation, they found an underground wire used to ground electricity from the pool pump motor to a circuit break, original from the pool when it was built in 1979, that was corroded.

Because of the corrosion, the current went through the pool water.

State law requires public pools to be inspected each year, but electrical inspections are not part of the process. A pool is only inspected when it’s built or renovated.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.