Watch Live: Impeachment trial of Pres. Donald Trump begins in the Senate

Tortoise accidentally starts fire at Wisconsin business

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

WALES, Wis. --

Officials in a small Wisconsin town say a tortoise is a primary suspect in a fire that erupted at a water installation and landscaping business.

Police believe Matilda, who served as a mascot for the store Aquatica, knocked a heat lamp into her cage, causing hay to catch on fire and spread, according to WITI.

Even though the building's structure remained intact, the tortoise didn't survive the ordeal.

"We lost our beloved turtle, a tortoise, Matilda. All of our neighbors, the whole village liked her, " said Dean Pipito, owner of Aquatica.

Officials say an investigation deemed the fire to be an accident.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.