CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police and EMS responded to Northlake Mall on Labor Day after reports of shots fired.
In a statement obtained by WJZY, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said officers responded to the mall at about 3:15 p.m. in reference to an assault with a deadly weapon call.
When officers arrived they were unable to locate any victims or suspects and confirmed that the shots were fired outside of the mall.
The mall had already been partially evacuated before it was determined that there were no victims, police said.
The mall has reopened for business.
Shooting on Christmas Eve 2015
An officer-involved shooting at the same mall left one person dead on Dec. 24, 2015.
The man who died, identified as 18-year-old Daquan Antonio Westbrook, was armed, police said. No officers were injured.
“Preliminary evidence gathered on scene indicates that a group of subjects who had a history of feuding encountered each other inside the mall and got into an altercation which led to Mr. Westbrook shooting a firearm. This was not a random act of violence and the subjects involved are known to one another,” read a statement from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.