Davie County Senior Center closed due to possible norovirus exposure
MOCKSVILLE, N.C. — The Davie County Health Department has closed the Davie County Senior Center until Thursday due to possible norovirus exposure, according to a news release from Davie County Government.
The release said according to data collected, a visitor to the center displayed symptoms consistent with the virus and after further evaluation, the cause was confirmed to be that of norovirus-associated gastoenteritis.
Currently, there have been no other reported cases directly associated with the center, the release said. Precautions are being taken by closing the center for a full 24 hours to ensure that proper sanitizing is performed.
The following information about norovirus was included in the release:
Noroviruses are a group of related viruses that cause acute gastroenteritis in humans. The average incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis is 12 to 48 hours. Illness is characterized by acute-onset vomiting, watery/non-bloody diarrhea with abdominal cramps and nausea. In addition, muscle aches, malaise and headache are commonly reported. Low-grade fever is present in about half of cases. Dehydration is the most common complication and may require intravenous replacement fluids. Symptoms of norovirus usually last 24 to 60 hours.
If you have experienced any of the symptoms listed above and work in childcare, food service or healthcare, you will need to remain out of work for 48 hours after all symptoms have resolved.
Any questions regarding norovirus may be directed to Davie County Health Department’s Environmental Health Section at (336) 753-6780.