Burlington police say partially-blind man lied about robbery

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BURLINGTON, N.C. -- Burlington police ask for any individuals or nonprofits to come forward that have donated money to 50-year-old John Williams.

Williams is currently in jail under a $5,000 bond. He’s charged with one count of filing a false report to a law enforcement agency.

Investigators believe Williams lied about a robbery that allegedly took place on Aug. 3 while he was walking alone on South Anthony Street.

Williams told FOX8 on Aug. 3  he was planning on using the $560 to pay for his rent and food for the month.

Officers report that after more than 15 investigation hours, they determined the crime was fabricated.

In an updated report, officers said, “Williams reported he had been robbed with the intent to gain sympathy from the community in order to receive compensation for money he had depleted from personal use.”

Detectives said at least three nonprofits and/or individuals have come forth so far claiming to have raised money for Williams; including a GoFundMe page that raised $830.

Any other donors are asked to call police towards to investigation and to see if the money can be refunded.