Videos show storm damage around the Piedmont Triad

Eden city worker in hospital after inhaling toxic fumes while picking up trash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EDEN, N.C. -- An Eden city worker is in the hospital after inhaling hazardous fumes from a leaking container Wednesday.

Eden Fire Chief Tommy Underwood says the driver is in stable condition at Morehead Hospital.

At about 12 p.m., the driver was operating a city crane which picks up yard waste.

Liquid was leaking from a container, giving off fumes which the driver breathed in, according to Marshall.

The driver got shortness of breath and was taken to the hospital.

The truck was taken back to the Eden City Garage where it has been placed in an isolated field for testing.

Hazmat crews from Greensboro's Regional Response Team were called in to run tests on the substance.

Eden firefighters were first called to try to remove the materials but the substance tore through the bags, according to Marshall.

Marshall pulled the firefighters out and called in hazmat team.

The Rockingham County Rescue Squad, Rockingham County Fire Marshall's Office, and the Greensboro Regional Response Team are all the responding agencies.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.