CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — A man is in critical condition after being bitten by a cobra in Chapel Hill.
Ali Iyoob was rushed to UNC Hospitals Monday night for treatment, Tom Hughes, the spokesperson for UNC Hospitals told WTVD.
It isn’t clear how Iyoob was bitten or why he came in such close contact with a cobra. His Facebook profile photo, however, does show him handling the venomous snake.
According to the University of Michigan, a cobra’s venom can cause respiratory failure just 30 minutes after a human is bitten.